Don't throw away your banana peels! They are your secret ingredient in this recipe.
Serves: 12 food lovers
Prep time: 20 min
Baking time: 45 min
- 700g of organic whole bananas with the peels (removing hard ends, brown bananas are fine)
- 1/3 cup soy milk
- 2 medium eggs (or use the aquafaba from 1/2 can of 398 ml can chickpeas to make it vegan)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar (200 g)
- 1 1/2 cups Organic Whole Wheat flour (180g)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (216g)
- 2 tsp baking soda (5g)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (4g)
- Optional: 1/2 cup chocolate chips (85g) + 1/2 cup pecan nuts (62g)
- Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F)
- Grease a 20 cm cake tin
- Put the whole bananas, the soy milk and the vanilla extract into a blender or food processor. Blend until they turn into a smooth, dark brown, aromatic mush. Set aside.
- Beat slightly heated coconut oil, sugar, and egg yolks in a mixing bowl until it is all combined
- Add the whole bananas, flour, baking powder (optional: chocolate chips / nuts) and mix well
- Whisk the egg whites (or aquafaba) until frothy, and gently add into the mixture (keep it fluffy)
- Pour into a cake pan. Bake for 45 minutes.